They were the nightmares of adolescence: braces. From not being able to eat Now ‘n Laters to accidentally snapping yourself in the mouth with one of those tiny rubber bands, or from having food perpetually stuck between brackets to the robot-looking headgear, NO ONE in Reston, Virginia or anywhere else enjoyed having braces. These days, though, there is a better option; one that requires no wires, brackets, bands, floss threaders, or food restrictions. These days, we have Invisalign.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign treatment consists of wearing a series of clear, BPA-free plastic trays that are fitted to gently shift your teeth into place. Your Reston Dentist will use X-rays and impressions to make sure the aligner trays fit your teeth perfectly to maximize results and minimize discomfort. While Invisalign is more expensive than traditional braces, they are worth the investment if only to avoid the aforementioned unpleasantness.
Get ready, because this list is long! There are so many reasons to opt for Invisalign treatment instead of traditional braces:
- They are CLEAR! No silver brackets and colored bands to take away from your smile!
- You can EAT! You can eat whatever you want once you remove the aligner trays. Corn on the cob? No problem.
- Peppercorn encrusted filet? You’ve got it. Saltwater taffy? Absolutely! Because you remove the trays when you eat, there is no risk of damaging them with the foods you love.
- They are CLEAN! To clean your Invisalign trays, you simply brush them as you would a nightguard or mouthguard. Not only are the trays themselves easy to clean, but because you remove them when you brush, you can stick to your regular brushing routine. No need for floss threaders – unless that’s your thing.
- Your treatment time is usually SHORTER! Traditional braces are often worn for two years or more, but most Invisalign patients only have to wear their aligner trays for six to eighteen months, depending on their desired results. A retainer is usually required after treatment, but in many cases it can be worn just at night and not around the clock.
- They are COMFORTABLE! Since you are still shifting your teeth, you can expect some mild discomfort. What you won’t have to deal with, though, is the discomfort of wires rubbing against the inside of your cheeks or finding orthodontic wax to place over sharp edges in your mouth.
Is Invisalign for You?
The list above may have convinced you to run to Reston Dentistry for Invisalign right away, but some people aren’t good candidates for treatment. If you fall into any of the categories below, you may need to discuss more traditional alignment options with your Reston Dentist.
- Patients with bridgework
- Patients who need to move their teeth vertically
- Patients who lack the discipline to leave their trays in at all times unless eating, drinking, or brushing
If you want to know more about Invisalign or are even still interested in traditional braces, contact Reston Dentistry today. Dr. Kazemifar is ready to discuss all of your dental needs and put that smile back on your face.